Saturday, November 14, 2015

Tradition

Tradition

As far back as I can remember, I watched the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. My great grandmother lived with us and we shared a love for the parade. She would wake me up in time to eat breakfast and we would make our way to our living room to tune in to NBC to enjoy the festivities. During the 1970s, there was no cable TV, no remote control, and no DVR. Live telecasts were not replayed, so if you missed a production such as the Macy’s parade, you were out of luck seeing it again for an entire year. So, I was up and ready by show time at 9A.M.! To me, the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade is THE parade of all parades. It is tradition. When Santa makes his appearance at the end of the parade, for me, it felt like Christmas had been ushered in. In little girl anticipation, I waited excitingly for the moment when Santa had officially arrived.


 Fast Forward More Than Four Decades 


Here we are in the present, 2015, the age of technology. The age where DVRs allow us to watch whatever we want to watch whenever we choose to watch it. We can catch some videos and such on YouTube and stream TV shows via our laptops, tablets, or phones. We have come a long way since my childhood years of the 1970s and yet have we really come so far? Guess what I still want to watch on Thanksgiving morning? Yep, you’ve got it! I still want to watch the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade on live TV! Some things have changed. I don’t get the little girl excitement that I felt during my childhood years when it felt like an event to me. And, I don’t wait in anticipation for Santa’s appearance at the end of the parade, but I still love the parade. As I share this story it reminds me that tradition is the key that connects us to our past and links us to the future. A tradition that started so long ago for me has continued my entire adult life. As I watch the parade, I remember my great grandma and all the wonderful aspects of knowing her. I remember that she made Thanksgiving special with our love of watching the parade. She began a traditional legacy that passed on to the next generation. I introduced my kids to the parade as well and I wish I could say they all sit in anticipation as the parade begins each and every year, but this is not true. However, because we had traditions, they in return have created traditions with their own families. Knowing tradition is a part of their lives, even if it isn’t the same one that endears me, warms my heart!

As Thanksgiving rapidly approaches, think of your own holiday ideas. Are there traditions already established within your family? What new tradition could you start that might be carried on from generation to generation?


No comments:

Post a Comment