Friday, January 1, 2016

Expectations For 2016

New Year’s Resolutions


As 2016 begins, I think of all the New Year’s resolutions that will be made…and broken almost as fast we make them. As I grow another year older and I will immediately after the New Year…my birthday is Jan. 2, I am beginning to realize that resolutions alone might not be the best approach to a new beginning. Instead of focusing just on resolutions, which is defined as a firm decision to do or not do something, I am going to try a different approach. Goal setting has proven to be a great way to start something new. If you read books or articles about setting goals, the experts tell us to set short-term and long-term goals. The word goal is defined as the object of a person’s ambition or effort; an aim or desired result. Well…I am thinking if I make a plan to resolve to set both short-term and long-term goals and then re-evaluate my progress as I work towards accomplishing them, I should have better results.

Putting Resolution and Goals Into Action

Once resolutions are decided and goals are set, then the tough part of the planning process begins. In my opinion, the hardest part of making resolutions and setting goals is putting the plan into action and remaining consistent. I will be honest. I can resolve to do something. I know how to set goals. I am even fine with putting the plan into action, but remaining consistent is where I often fail. Life gets busy. Unexpected problems happen and the time carved out for new goals are often placed on the back burner. Then, within a few days, the newly set goals are forgotten and life resumes as it was without making changes that in the long run would be good for me.

Expectations For 2016

This year I want make a conscious effort to decide on resolutions, set goals, and discipline myself to follow through, even when it seems difficult to do so. Let me encourage you to do the same!

How do your resolutions work out for you? I would love to hear if you have a proven plan that helps keep you consistent.  










No comments:

Post a Comment